Learned Helplessness is a condition in which a person suffers from a sense of powerlessness, arising from a traumatic event or persistent failure to control outcomes. When this happens, a person becomes passive and “gives up.” Learned Helplessness is thought to be one of the underlying causes of depression. The effects of uncontrollability demonstrates the following three behavioral symptoms:
- Motivation. Decreased response initiation
- Cognitive. Reduced perception of control.
- Emotional. Heightened state of fear.
Has COVID-19 created a sense of uncertainty...a lack of control over your environment? Are you experiencing one or more of the above symptoms? Are you beginning to accept the adverse impacts of the Coronavirus? If so, you are suffering from Learned Helplessness. Before Beyond Insurance offers remedies for this dangerous condition, please view the brief video below.
So, what are a handful of strategies to fend off this debilitating condition?
- Identify your limiting beliefs and reframe the negative thoughts that deplete your willpower. Take ownership of your mindset.
- Focus on actions for which you have control. These include choices, skills and outcomes.
- Set SMART goals. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time bound.
- Share your positivity. Your attitude is infectious.
- Look beyond the traumatic daily news reports and regain the excitement of your goals and dreams.
Your friends at Beyond Insurance